What Is A Fifth
Not only is this interval present in virtually all the chords and scales of conventional
harmony, but it also plays an important role in music composition. We’ll use this interval to help build our Major and Minor triads, and we’ll see how it can be used as a learning tool for organizing scale relationships. This interval is also related to something called “The Circle of Fifths", which we'll see in the upcoming lessons, and will help us in creating chord progressions that will define the underlying harmony of our compositions.
As you can see, you should definitely master this interval.
Now the question is...
Q: Having know what is a fifth interval, next is how can we build up a Fifth Interval?
Let’s see some examples of what the Perfect Fifth Interval looks like:
You won’t have to remember all the individual notes of each one. If you count the notes by key, including both the black and white keys, you'll notice that there are 7 keys (not counting the key that you are starting on) from the first to the last key of ANY Fifth interval. In music terms, where the distances between the keys are referred to as half tones, you will use 7 key distances, or half-tones to travel the distance we call the Fifth Interval. You might also see the music term “Whole-Tone” in some texts, which represents 2 half tones. Throughout the lessons we’re going to be naming distances only using half-tones, as they are easier to count.
Back to our information, the good thing to know, is that the distance from the first to the last note is 7 keys (not including the first key that you play), which means that you're now ready to build the Fifth Interval on ANY key!
Let's do an example; if you wanted build a D Fifth Interval, you would play the D key:
D Fifth Interval
…and then you would count up 7 half-tones starting from D. In this way you would be able to build the D Fifth Interval by playing both simultaneously:
- Get Your Away In The Deep Forest Sheet Music With Note Names
- Get Your Aura Lee Sheet Music With Note Names
- Get Your Au Clair De La Lune Sheet Music For Piano Along With Notes
- Get Your a Tisket a Tasket Sheet Music for Piano Along With Notes
- Get Your Beethoven Fur Elise Sheet Music For Piano Along With Notes
- We Three Kings Piano Sheet Music along with Notes
- Jana Gana Mana Piano Notes -The Easy Way
- One Click Downloadable Piano Lessons In Hindi PDF
- List Of Easy Piano Songs To Play For Beginners
- Piano Lessons In Hindi – 30 Videos
- Take A Piano Quiz
- Building the Major and Minor Triad Chords – Part 1
- The Relationship Between Intervals and Chords
- The Major and Minor Third Intervals
- The Perfect Fifth Interval Part 2
- What Is A Fifth – Interval
- The Octave Interval
- What is Music Balance
- The Building Blocks Also Known As Music Basics
- The Need For Memorizing Scales and Chords
- Overcoming Frustration of playing Piano and Keyboard
- The Reason Why Are Music Scales Important In Music
- What is a Interval in Music
- What is a Chord – A Detailed Explanation
- 4 Steps to Learning How to Play Any Song on the Piano
- What is a scale in music – Get familiar with musical scales